After reading this article students, faculty, and staff should be able to:
- Join an existing Group in Office365 by using the following email clients:
- Office 365 Mail app
- Outlook 2016 for Windows
- Outlook Mobile app
Groups are shared workspaces available through Office 365. Each shared workspace has a shared inbox, calendar, document library, OneNote notebook, and planning tool.
Office 365 Mail App
- Login into Office 365 using your UConn account and open Mail.
- In the navigation pane, under Groups, select Discover.
- If you don’t see Groups, click the arrow next to Folders to go back to the main navigation pane.
- If you don’t see Discover, expand the Groups section.
- All available groups will be listed in alphabetical order. Select the one you want and click Join. If the group is public, you’ll see a confirmation message and become a member right away. If the group is private, type a reason why you want to join > Send.
- Once you’ve joined a group you’ll receive a welcome message that contains important information and links to help you get started. If the group is public, you’ll get the message right away. If the group is private, you’ll get the welcome message after you’ve been approved by group owner.
Outlook 2016 for Windows
Search for a Group to join
- On the Home tab, select Browse Groups.
- Enter a group name in the search box or scroll the list to find the one you want.
- Click Join. If the group is private, a request will be sent to the group’s admin, who can accept or decline the request.
Join a Group from an email
- If you receive an email message from a group that you’re not a member of and decide to join the group, select Join on the group header in the right corner of the reading pane. If the group is private, you’ll see Request to Join instead, and will be asked to provide a reason for joining.
- Wait for your request to go through, or for the group’s admin to add you if you’re trying to join a private group.
- Once you’ve joined the group, you’ll see detailed membership status as well as a shortcut to navigate to the group’s inbox.
Go to a Group that you were added to as a member
- When you’re added to a group, you receive an email notification. Open the email and click Go to the group link.
- Use the options on the ribbon to start a conversation, change your membership status, and so on.
- You can also go to the Explore the group section in your email notification to view the conversations as well as the group’s calendar and files. All the groups that you’ve created or were invited to are on the left nav bar under Groups. You can access any of them by just clicking the group name. Then, you can participate in the conversations or use the options on the ribbon to access the files, calendar, notebook, and other information.
Keywords: Groups, Office 365, Outlook, Mail app, join,
Last Modified: 7/7/2017