My email is running slowly. How do I turn on cached mode?
After reading this article students faculty and staff should be able to:
- Turn on cached mode in different versions of Outlook for Windows
Cached mode works by saving a copy of your mailbox to your computer allowing for quick access to your data and can be a quick fix for troubleshooting slow email.
Note: Outlook 2011 and 2016 for Mac uses caching by default, and it cannot be enabled or disabled.
Outlook 2013/2016 for Windows
- In Outlook 2013 or 2016, click File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
- Click the Exchange account, and then click Change.
- Under Offline Settings, check Use Cached Exchange Mode.
- Exit and then restart Outlook.
Outlook 2010 for Windows
- In Outlook 2010, click the File tab.
- Click Account Settings, and then click Account Settings.
- On the E-mail tab, click the Exchange account, and then click Change.
- Under Microsoft Exchange server, select or clear the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box.
- Exit and then restart Microsoft Outlook 2010.
Last Modified: 6/19/2017